Event Excellence Winner
World Masters Games 2017
- The 9th World Masters Games (WMG 2017) was held in Auckland, New Zealand, in April 2017. It was a ten day event featuring 28,578 participants across 28 sports and tens of thousands more spectators across 48 venues.
- The WMG 2017 generated a surplus of $831,000 - making WMG 2017 the most commercially successful major event in New Zealand history. The surplus was returned to community sport by way of grant applications.
- The spirit of partnership underpinned the success of the Games. The LOC (Local Organising Committee) worked with more than 150 stakeholders over the four year period. The 'extended family' was involved and brought together at every opportunity to celebrate success and share in future goal setting.
Stakeholders included (plus many more):
ATEED, Auckland Council, NZ Government and Sport New Zealand
Waipa District Council, Hamilton City Council, and Waikato Regional Council
Barfoot and Thompson, Air New Zealand, SkyCity, NZCT, Pita Pit, Volvo, MediaWorks, AirBnB, Fusesport, KPMG, Grassroots
- As well as successfully delivering 28 sporting codes for participants to complete across, WMG 2017 also delivered an Opening Ceremony which included over 20,000 participants and a Closing Ceremony including over 12,000 participants. WM 2017 showcased New Zealand and particularly Auckland City with finesse, including highlighting the wonderful calibre of hospitality and tourism options that Aotearoa has to offer.
- The 2018 judging panel credited WMG 2017 as being "highly complex and extremely successful in all aspects from planning, through to delivery and investment back into Community Sport"
Click here to the a video with the CEO of the World Masters Games 2017: Jennah Wootten